August 1-7, 2011
*We read this recipe in the July issue of Bon Appetit and used it over the 4th of July and just recently at a friend’s barbecue. It turned out to be a big hit with everyone. The prep was simple, the flavors were distinct and the slaw had a wonderful crunch to it. The final dish would serve well as a summertime picnic type of offering.
Recipe by the Bon Appétit Test Kitchen
Photograph by Maren Caruso
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced diagonally, plus 1/4 cup loosely packed celery leaves
- 2 small fennel bulbs, thinly sliced crosswise, plus 1 tablespoon chopped fennel fronds
- 1 firm, crisp apple (such as Pink Lady, Gala, or Granny Smith), julienned
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Whisk first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add celery and celery leaves, thinly sliced fennel and chopped fennel fronds, and apple; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.